Minggu, 25 Agustus 2013

Being an Oxford Elective Student part I


I've just arrived in Indonesia after I finished my Elective program in Oxford, England.

Well, first of all, without a doubt, University of Oxford Medical School is a good-internationally- recognised medical school. Medicine has been taught in Oxford since 13th century so we can imagine, How good they are to provide teaching in this area. and We rarely heard Indonesian studies in Oxford Medical School, albeit when I "declared" that I took my Elective in Oxford, Many people got impressed, amazed, even jealous about this special "infrequent" privilige to study medicine in Oxford like I got.

It actually started when my good friend, Dr. Oliver Quick invited me to come to his teaching hospital in Keele, Stoke on trent, UK. And because his invitation,I became wondered, whether there is an opportunity to be trained in highly-ranked international medical school like Harvard or Oxford. Then I started searching.

Harvard automatically were not my choices anymore when I read that you have to pay tuition fee USD 3500/month. But I become interested with Oxford because Oxford promised : not only their training is completely free, but they also stated that we have similar privilege with Oxford student. the program itself is highly competitive since Oxford only takes 50 persons worlwide per year to got accepted in this program ( compare with Harvard which accept 1000persons/year). So instead of applying to Keele ( or Harvard), I decided to apply to Oxford for Elective program.

I began to prepare all the requirements. TOEFL, Letters of recommendation ( I got from 2 proffesors in my medical school and also I attached letter from my boss in World Health Organization(WHO) when I worked with them),CV, transcript of academic, and writing an essay. My friend, Oliver were "insanely" really nice. not only he corrected my essay ( so it sounds more "British") but he also kindly offered to bring along all the documents to England so he could posted them from Keele to Oxford. it easier and cheaper. Huge gratitude for him.

Then, I got an email from Mrs. Carolyn Cook, Elective Coordinator in University of Oxford Medical school.She happily informed me that Oxford University already secured one place for me to able to be trained and study as an Oxford Elective student. but there is one issue.

Though Oxford didn't charged me for tuition fee, but Oxford can not provide financial assistance for airfare,living cost and UK Tier-4 visa ( which ridiculously very expensive). The invitation letter from Oxford University came, right before I would like to leave for Germany for IFMSA Professional exchange, my school program. These package from Oxford University remained untouched until I came back from Germany.

Then I started to think for searching scholarship. My medical school, Faculty of Medicine, Andalas University, indeed provides international travel grants for students. But since I just took international clinical rotation in Germany ( which I fully financially supported by my med school and Germany). I must be very greedy, if I took this grant for second time. So I started looking for scholarship from outside. I applied a proposal to Higher Education directorate (DIKTI) for scholarship. Then I got phone call from them for interview particularly about this program and how I got accepted in Oxford. Lucky me, and I am so grateful that Oxford has a good reputation, I got full scholarship from DIKTI based on HPEQ scheme!

Actually, HPEQ doesnt have a particular scheme for this program, but because this is Oxford university, they have willing to change the scheme, so it will fit to HPEQ program, only because it is Oxford. Despite they entailed more time to procceed, but eventually they commited to cover all the expenses .Very many thanks HPEQ and DIKTI!

Before departure, I was very busy with my final obligations in my medical school. Finishing my clinical rotations, preparing for national exam (UKDI). After I finished all obligations, I flew to United Kingdom for the first time to come to Oxford as a student, financially supported by DIKTI.

Anyway, I forgot to mention about how difficult I was before to get UK Tier 4 visa. I have to fly to Bali only to give my visa application because I hardly got an appointment in visa application centre in Jakarta. Moreover, my documents must be sent to UK embassy in Bangkok,ect. The proccess itself in my opinion is really tiring,time and money-consuming,and completely "bureaucrazy". Well, if you are non EEU or UK citizen, and have plan to apply for elective in Oxford, you MUST always thoroughly ponder visa application as your priority because in my academic year in Oxford, there is an elective student who must cancelled his coming to UK due to his visa is declined by United Kingdom Border Agency (UKBA)

But, because this visa hurdles, I felt how professional Oxford is for managing and maintaining its students. I got extremely a quick-rapid-fast response from Oxford medical school and also University. They contacted all authorities (UK embassy in Jakarta,UKBA manager in London,ect) they have to speed up my application proccess. They always assist their student and dont let their student to cope their problem alone. No wonder they got a prestigious reputation as a world class university.

then, finally I got UK visa.I distinctly remember ; I flew on Thursday from Jakarta in the early morning by Emirates. Stopped by in Dubai. I took my times there to have lunch in Restaurant and enjoying Dubai International airport : One of the luxurious airport in the world, they claimed. Funny, I met many Indonesian workers there, and Indonesian languange are easily heard there. Then I took second flight directly to Heathrow Airport, London.

Arriving in London for the first time was such a holly-gracely-cultural experience for me. I guess it is because I raised with many British Cultures ; famous five and all Enid Blyton Novels, Sherlock Holmes, The Beatles, Adele, One Direction. I remember I always said that one of cities that I want to visit before I die is London. And now dream comes true.

When I arrived in Heathrow,London,I think Heathrow airport is pretty similar like Schiphol airport in Amsterdam (I visited Amsterdam last spring). Huge, busy, but well-organized. When I wanted to pass UK border in Heathrow, due to having bad experience with UKBA and their bureaucracy, I prepared all the stuff I need. CAS, passport,insurance, even I brought all my hard documents in my bacpack, in case UKBA ask for that. I dont want to be a "double-checked-person". But no, my fear is not coming. Even the officer lady commended me for arranging all stuff very organized so it made the checking easier.

I took my luggage, took cash money from ATM (I only brought few pounds from Indonesia), and directly went to bus station in Heathrow. Many Indonesians and foreigners always think that Oxford University is only a university which located London. no, it is wrong. University of Oxford located in Oxford city, the old ancient city, one hour from London by bus. I drove to Oxford which X90 bus and I arrived safely in Oxford, stopped by in Headington Shop, a shopping centre in Headington hill, a place where John Radcliffe Hospital ( JR Hospital) and Oxford Clinical Medical School located. All shops were closed since it was already 9 pm, but because it is summer in England, The Sun still there. I called a taxi to JR Hospital ( only 6 pounds), took my flat key in main receptions, and pulled my massively huge luggage to my flat. I am extremely exhausted with long flight, so even outside still was eventide, and without changing clothes, I quickly hit the hay. Tomorrow I have to meet Carolyn for my orientation.

To be continued...

35 komentar:

Unknown mengatakan...

Hi! I'm a medical student from Australia looking to apply to Oxford for Elective. How competitive was the application process and is it mainly based on references rather than scores?
Kind regards,
Jess

Amna mengatakan...

^Hey. Have you received a confirmation email for electives from Oxford? I also applied there and waiting for their response.

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Hi
I also applied and waiting for this response.
Have you received anything yet?

Amna mengatakan...

No, I have not received any email from there. Hope to get some response in the coming week.

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Yeah, I hope so too.
Best of luck for both of us :)

Amna mengatakan...

Yes, best of luck to us :)

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Hi
Have you received any Emails today or yesterday?

Amna mengatakan...

No. Still waiting

Amna mengatakan...

Did you get any email ?

Unknown 2 mengatakan...
Komentar ini telah dihapus oleh pengarang.
Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Still waiting too.
I will let you know if I receive any email in the next few days.

Amna mengatakan...

Ok. Thanks :)

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

No problem :)
Please, may I know whenever you receive a response too?
If you don't mind of course :)

Amna mengatakan...

Yeah, sure I will let you know. Btw from which country are you applying from ? I hope you dont mind if I ask :)

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

From Egypt.
What about you? :)

Amna mengatakan...

I am from Pakistan :)

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Awesome :)
I wish we meet in Oxford.
Praying for acceptance 😃

Amna mengatakan...

May your words come true :)
*fingers crossed*

Amna mengatakan...

^Hey. Have you received any email ?

Unknown mengatakan...

Hello friends,

Wishing you all the best with the application!

Has anyone received an email of whether they were accepted or not? It says we should be notified at the end of November but I still haven't seen any email come through. Thanks guys :)

Good Luck!

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Hi
I haven't received any Email yet. But I think we may still receive any in the next few hours.

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

This is just strange. We may email them next week if we didn't anything today.

Unknown mengatakan...

Hi Guys,

There definitely is still a few hours!

It is a bit strange since they did specify sending out the emails at the end of November regardless of whether we are accepted or not. If you guys have also not received anything, then we are on the same boat... maybe it'll just be a bit delayed because staff are busy.

Please keep us updated if you hear back from the clinical school, I will also do the same :)

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Thank you.
I will definitely tell here if I receive anything.
Let's keep waiting and hoping ^^
All the best.

Ray Mond mengatakan...

I emailed Mrs Carolyn Cook earlier this week, she said she will confirm in two weeks time and apologised for the delay
So let's be a little more patient. I also applied for an elective position at oxford University medical school

Amna mengatakan...

Thanks a bunch Ray Mond for informing us :)
Wish you good luck !

Unknown mengatakan...

Hi guys, anyone heard anything yet, it’s been two weeks into December? Best of luck!

Amna mengatakan...

Hello. Not yet. Awaiting for it.

Unknown 2 mengatakan...

Hi
I haven't heard anything too.
It seems we are all in the same boat.

Ray Mond mengatakan...

Haven't received anything as well

Sunflowers mengatakan...

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know what’s happening with the response emails? It’s pretty much nearing the third week from the end of November.

I don’t want to come across as being impatient but I really need to know the result, so I can start arranging my second elective or look into applying for other hospitals.

Anyways, hoping the wait isn’t any longer and best of luck to everyone!

Ray Mond mengatakan...

I got my reply 1week ago. I was accepted. Good luck guys

Unknown mengatakan...

I received a not successful email around the same time. Congratulations Ray Mond, which country are you from?

aspiring medico mengatakan...

Hi Ray Mond. Congratulations for getting accepted. I also got an email that I have been selected. Which month will you be going there?

Ayesha mengatakan...

Hi, I just applied to oxford for electives. Do they send you an email when your application reaches?