Senin, 26 Agustus 2013

Being an Oxford Elective Student part III


So, Why I decide Oxford ?

Well, first of All. it is Oxford. Without telling any word,everyone already know about Oxford.

but, to put it very bluntly, at the first time, my reason why I chose Oxford over its rivals ( Harvard or Cambridge) is simply because it is completely free. Like I posted before, Harvard charged you approximately USD 3500/month (totally ridiculuos), Cambridge charged 250+900 pounds for administration+accomodation fee. You could compare among them.

But free of charge is not enough for Oxford. They offer ; not only you will get opportunities to be trained in one of the best and greatest NHS teaching hospital in United Kingdom, but you will also get similar privilege as local Oxford students.

As an elective student, you will get your own College ( Green Templeton College), which is a good way to feel "Oxford vibrant". You will also can attend so many journal readings, lectures from many internationally-recognized proffesors from the best institution around the world, and get involved with a new-sophisticated treatment for patient. after finishing your Elective in Oxford, you could also be enrolled as a member in Oxford Medical Alumni (OMA) ( but you have to pay small amount of pounds for member's fee).

You will get a University Card which is very useful to visit many Colleges, Chapel, botanical garden, library, and museum which belongs to Oxford University , FREE of charge ( people usually have to pay each, if they want to visit them).

And those reason ensured me to apply for elective in University of Oxford. I knew this program is highly competitive. Oxford only accepts few students per year, but this program is irresistable.

But I must admit : University of Oxford Elective Program is very outstanding and excellent program. I did Proffesional Exchange in Germany last year, so I have comparison to work in developed country hospital, but Oxford is beyond. Beyond my expectation ,beyond all the things. The program is very well-organized, and they managed this program very seriously.

On my first day, Mrs.Carolyn Cook, The Oxford Medical School Elective Coordinator brought me to JR hospital, the place where I have to work and study during my Elective. she explained every single details. Furthermore, she gave me all stuffs that I probably need, hospital map, university card, security card ( so I can open the doors in my department in JR Hospital) ect. And she was almost available every time I need during my Elective.

I also met my supervisor, Dr. Paul Greig, an anaesthetist consultant. He was the one who open his door for me and made a cup of coffe on my first meeting. He discussed with me about my learning objectives ( I should give my objectives to Oxford Medical School before , what I want to learn,what I want to see) during my Electives. It is very rare because in Indonesia, No consultant would like to discuss " what student want to learn" to students. It is about compulsory lesson.

After he discussed my objectives, he arranged my timetable so I can get as many opprtunity as I can so I could fulfill my objectives. He then gave me the timetable, and once again, he brought me to see JR hospital, the OR,the ER, the scrub room,the changing room. Then we discussed again about anaesthetics. He also give me timetable for lecture and tutorial during my Elective.

What I really like about Elective in Oxford, their program is really well-organized. they never really let Elective student alone without nothing to do. There is always learning opportunity for elective student to enhance their knowledge and skills. And it is not just observeship program. they do let Elective students to have clinical exposure with many patients as much as They can. I did many intubations, IV cannula, putting LMA, all clinical skills. They emphasized also on basic sciences. every little thing we do in medicine has science reason on basis.

Oxford is also has an International environment. It seems like many people from every parts of the world study in Oxford. I remember, when I had formal dinner in my college, in my table, there are many various nations ; Indonesia,Malta, Australia, United States,Greece,China, Taiwan,Korea,Japan, India, Germany ect and we came from different background and different field of study. I know this is because my college is for Graduate Student and,most graduate student are non- UK citizen, but I like the international vibrant in Oxford.

Oxford city itself is simply beautiful. Many ancient buildings with long history along with UK beautiful scenery make Oxford as the city of dreaming spires. Some people considered Oxford people are typically-British-elite. They speak British English Received Pronunciation (RP), they talk in advanced vocabulary. Sometimes it is true, but beyond of that, Oxford is one of the best cities in United Kingdom, and it is a good place to learn English Culture and History.

Being an Oxford Elective Student, indoubtedly is an honour.

It is recommended program and every people should always consider to apply into this program...

Posted via DraftCraft app

0 komentar: