Senin, 26 Agustus 2013

Being an Oxford Elective Student part II



"What is an Elective Program?"

Many, Many friends and colleguaes of me asked about that. They heard about me studying in Oxford, and many people would like to follow my step. I can say I am the first pioneer of person from my university ( or Indonesia?) to study medicine in Oxford and join this program. Some people ( who did not understand ) considered me going to UK only for traveling ( since I really like to explore foreign country). But I took this program for some reasons.

I understand "Elective" is not part of Indonesian medical education system. But it is a compulsary program for developed country (like United States,United Kingdom,ect) doctors before taking residency/housemanship. It is part of curriculum. So if I someday, want to be enrolled as a resident doctor in those countries, I should -at least- have had an Elective Program in my medical education history.

Taking residency abroad always be one of my choices. Residency in Indonesia is a bloody hell crazy system. You work in hospital more than 100 hours/week, 2-4 night shifts in a row, 32hours straight working hours, but you dont get paid by hospital. in fact you have to PAY to hospital. It is a forced-labor-system made by government. Moreover, we should talk about a daft junior-senior relationships. You literally dont have life outside hospital.Ridiculously, it is 180degree different in another country. Resident doctor is paid job, and the working hours is more friendly.

Well, eventhough I dont really like those Indonesian system, but actually I havent decided yet whether taking residency in Indonesia or not,because living outside Indonesia forever is not also my intention. I always want to go back to my home country. But well let it be one of my choices. And knowing that I have another option is really soothing.

Having an Elective programme is very necessary for someone who intend to take residency outside Indonesia. I have friend who now struggling to get residency in US, but he havent taken Electives. Now he desperately need them because he already graduated as a doctor long time ago. He now tried to get an "observeship" program instead of elective program in rural hospital in US. He has to pay alot of money for getting into the program eventhough actually observeship is way less appreciate than elective in terms of residency. It is because only few indonesian medical student know how important elective program is, but it was extremely late for them when they finally realize about that. The programme is also important to get LoR (Letter of Recommendation) from professor or supervisor. A good LoR from supervisor in good institution will definitely boost you Curriculum Vitae (CV).

It is also important for Indonesian medical students to take Elective at the end of his/her final year or before he/she join internship program. It is because ,there are alot of bursaries and travel grants offered by ministry of education for us, and it can only be accessed when you apply as a medical student. I applied DIKTI scholarship when I was a student, though I went to Oxford after finishing all rotations in Indonesia and passing national exam (UKDI). Most medical schools also only offer you an Elective placement when you applied as a medical student, hence, it is likely very important for Indonesian medical student to aware more about elective and searching which med school is best for their elective and apply as soon as possible, if they have a plan to take residency abroad.

University of Oxford Elective program itself, I admit, is undoubtedly very excellent. I will tell why I choose Oxford as my elective placement in the next chapter...

To be continued...

0 komentar: